Around 15 FPC members armed with wheelbarrows, shovels, hoes and rakes spent Saturday morning working on Fareham’s petanque terrains, including gardening, weeding paths, clearing leaves and re-distributing and levelling large amounts of gravel.
Along with general maintenance work, a new wooden separator was installed between lane 12 and lane 13. This is in preparation for the addition of a new surface on lanes 8-12, to give players a greater variety of surfaces to play on.
When completed, the 16 terrains will comprise:
- Lane 1-4 : Fast, smooth-rolling but uneven surface with almost no top-dressing
- Lane 5-8 : Thick medium grit “Fareham special”
- Lane 9-12 : Large stone aggregate – a challenging surface to suit high-lobbers and boule-to-boule shooting
- Lane 13-16 : Thick medium grit “Fareham special”
The exact stone type for the new surface is still under some discussion, but will soon be in place. It will be interesting to see how both Fareham players and visitors cope with the new surface, and learn to adapt their playing style to the different pistes.
Thanks to everyone who turned up to help, and special thanks to Lois for providing much-need refreshments to thirsty and hungry workers!
Fareham’s 2017 Christmas Melee took place on Sunday 17th December. The day began cool and damp but stayed dry for the first two games. Overall, we had 32 players who entered, with several clubs represented. The strongest play was Dave Culvert from Shedfield, 0 wins, -26. There was a tie for 2nd place between Mark Robertshaw and Mike Kateley from Kirdford with 3 wins + 19. The winner was Mike Sheppard with 3 wins + 30. Well done Mike.
A big thank you to Mary and Marion for the catering, Liz and Susan for the raffle and especially Santa’s little helper, Carrie, who supported me despite being on crutches!
All are welcome to Fareham Petanque’s Open Christmas Melee on Sunday 17th December, registration 9:30am.
Timed games from 10am to 1pm then lunch.
- Free Punch, Soup/buffet lunch and Mince pies included!
- Only £6 entry (Juniors Free)
- Christmas jumpers and Santa hats welcome 🙂
- Christmas raffle
- Come and join us for your last petanque competition before Christmas!
Enter online here: competition_entry_form
Or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Or call Chris on 07713 429 217
Happy Christmas and see you there!
CHRISTMAS MELEE 2017
Once again, the Poppy Doubles competition at Cobbetts attracted a large number of Fareham Petanque Club members, with a few unable to secure a place due to this popular event being fully booked (38 teams) within just a few days of being advertised. The day was meticulously run and a resounding success as Cobbetts raised £600 with players from across the Region and beyond giving generously.
It was a sunny but cold November day and some parts of the terrain were still a bit soggy from the previous days rain. Format for the day comprised of Leagues in the morning and knockouts in the afternoon with prizes at various levels.
Minions David K & Carrie were the all Fareham team who made it into the Main along with Jackie Lee who played with Stuart Curlsey from Oxshott and Paula Fauvel who played with Carol Collyer (Cobbetts). Most of the other teams made it to the Plate with a few teams enjoying some fun games in the Wooden Spoon with a fair bit of friendly banter.
Known results of FPC Members included:
- Quarter Final: Paula Fauvel & Carol Collyer (Cobbetts)
- Consolage Final: Jackie Lee & Stuart Cursley (Oxshott)
- Top 16: David K & Carrie (The Minions)
- Quarter Final: Mark Robertshaw with his mum Karen
- Consolage winners: Malcolm & Shelley
- Consolage Semi-Final: Paul & Hassi
Well done to all FPC members who played on this Remembrance Day and helped raise money for the Poppy Appeal.
Fareham Petanque Club AGM was held on Thursday 2nd November 2017 and voted in the new committee, including 6-a-side and 9-a-side league team captains.
Club President Jackie Lee thanked outgoing committee-members Mary (Membership Secretary); Malcolm (Competitions Secretary); and Tim (Acorns Captain) for their work in previous years, and welcomed incoming Membership Secretary Carrie Litchfield, Competitions Secretary Chris Moss, and 9-a-side captains David Meyer and Gary White. Other committee members remain the same as last year, with Jackie continuing as President but giving up her captaincy of Fareham Conifers and handing over to Mark Robertshaw, who was previously captain of Fareham Oaks.
As well as the formal committee, Mike Sheppard was confirmed as Safeguarding Officer, and Lois White as Catering Supervisor.
- President: Jackie Lee
- Treasurer: Daena Vincent
- Membership Secretary: Carrie Litchfield
- Competitions Secretary: Chris Moss
- Lead Coach / Youth Development Office: Malcolm McKenzie
6-A-SIDE TEAM CAPTAINS
- Fareham Conifers: Mark Robertshaw
- Fareham Maple Leaves: Sue McAleese
- Fareham Redwoods: David Kilshaw
9-A-SIDE TEAM CAPTAINS
- Fareham Oaks: David Meyer
- Fareham Acorns: Gary White
- Safe-guarding officer: Mike Sheppard
- Catering supervisor: Lois White
- Website manager: Paul Leverett
This year’s Mayor’s Cup was held at Fareham Petanque Club and was hotly contested in the lovely Autumn sunshine. Despite a number of club members taking part in the Ladies Coaching Day at Cobbetts, Fareham were the clear winners with 13 games to Portchester’s 8 and Searles’ 6. All three Fareham triples contributed to the victory but the stars were David Kilshaw, David Meyer and John Caine who achieved a clean sweep of 6 games.
Congratulations to all the Fareham team:
The Mayor and Mayoress of Fareham, Cllr Geoff Fazackarley and his wife Tina were particularly impressed that Fareham had a junior playing in the team – well done Josh!
Overall we raised £209 for the Mayor’s charities: Sam’s Haven and The Moving On Project
Congratulations to Fareham’s Paula Fauvel for winning the SCPA Mixed Doubles with David Cruz at Cobbetts Boules Club. With some of the Regions top players entered in this year’s hard fought competition and torrential rain in the afternoon, the pair were not phased as they beat reigning champions Sammy Thatcher & Mike Tull, Dave & Ali Stubbs and Oscar & Montse in the finals.
Well done also to other Fareham members:
- Shelly & Malcolm who reached the Main Semi-Finals
- Tim who reached Main Quarter Finals with Karen Lombard
- Sheila & Paul Hayward who were runners-up in the Main Consolage
- Daena who won the Plate with Steve Lombard
- Carrie & David (Minions) who reached the Plate Semi-Finals
It was another very hot and sunny day at Fareham, for the club’s annual Open Triples competition, with teams entering from across the south. It was good to see many visitors from various other clubs in the region, as well as a good number of entries from Fareham Petanque Club members. The 20 teams competed in leagues in the morning, qualifying for Gold, Silver and Bronze knock-out competitions after lunch.
The Gold Final was fought between Team Parley (comprising Oscar, Montse and Tom) and Fareham’s Renegade (Mark, Malcolm and Gary), with the visitors victorious over the home team, winning the final 13:10.
- Gold Winner: Parley (Montse, Tom, Oscar)
- Gold Runner-Up: Renegade (Mark, Malcolm, Gary)
- Gold Semi-Finalists: BAT (Trevor, Allan, Peter), Oi (Kim, Graham, Tom, Jamie)
- Gold Consolage Winner: Minions (David, Carrie, Mike)
- Gold Consolage Crawley Boys (John, Bill, Gerard)
- Silver Winner: New Beginnings (Harrison, Keith, Carol)
- Silver Runner-up: Piemen (Paul, Hassi, Bernie)
- Silver Consolage Winner: Mabela (Abbey, Martin, Angela)
- Bronze Winner: DGD (Danny, Gerry, Dave)
Fareham Club President Jackie Lee presented medals to finalists, along with cash prizes for all winners. And all present showed their appreciation for Malcolm (Competitions Secretary), Mary, Marion and Mike (Lunch and refreshments), Liz, Shelley and Chris (Raffle) and all other helpers who contributed to the day.
Congratulations to Sheila Hayward, Carrie Litchfield & Hassi Leverett on reaching the finals of the EPA Women’s Ranking Triples at Arlesey Petanque Club on Sunday, playing on one of the toughest pistes in England! The terrain at Arlesey is famous for its’ technical difficulty and contains many hidden obstacles – random “pinging” is a hazard for even the most experienced players, careful selection of landing spot is essential, and only boule-on-boule shooting is likely to succeed.
Having never played together as a Triples team before, Sheila, Carrie & Hassi gelled from the start and embarked on the day with some great team spirit and determination. SCPA President Glenn Floyd, who was also at Arlesey, commented: “Yesterday I saw three of our ladies play in a national competition reaching the final and only narrowly missing out on a historic win”. Glenn said our Fareham ladies were an inspiration and he hoped this would encourage more ladies across the region to take part in EPA competitions.
Congratulations also to the Fareham Men’s team of Paul Hayward, David Kilshaw & Mark Robertshaw who made it into the top 8 after seeing off some very tough competition in the morning league – a good result against some of the top petanque players in England.